Monday, June 23, 2014

Easy Chicken Fried Rice

Wooo! My first recipe blog post!

Lately I've been cooking two-person meals for RR and I after we get home from our respective workdays.

Tonight was Easy Chicken Fried Rice, with a recipe I found through pinterest (see it Pinned here). Bonus - the recipe only takes about 15-20 minutes!

Image from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom

I tweaked the recipe a little bit to suit our taste...I'm also terrible at measuring so I usually just wing that part of it...

You will need:

  • ~2 cups of brown or white rice
  • Sesame oil
  • Soy sauce
  • Tyson Grilled & Ready chicken (or previously cooked chicken of your own)
  • Canned sweet corn
  • Canned peas
  • Small onion
  • Minced garlic or garlic powder (I use the powder!)
First, cook the rice! When the rice is about halfway done I use a large frying pan, on medium-low heat, and cover the bottom in sesame oil, then add in the (chopped!) onion and lightly coat in garlic powder. After 2-3 minutes I microwave a paper plate of the chicken (about 7 or 8 strips) and then add that into the pan. Stir this up for a few minutes, raising the temperature to medium, and adding in the corn and peas, and mixing everything together to make sure that it's all coated in the sesame oil.

Now that the rice is finished, add it into the frying pan and turn that temperature up to high! Here is where the soy sauce comes in. I tend to use low sodium because RR and I are both Italian and high blood pressure is common in my family. I put in a few splashes of soy sauce, covering half of the rice, then I make sure to thoroughly mix it all together for about one minute.

Voila! Ready to serve, and when all is said and done should take about 15 minutes.

Let me know how it turns out if you decide to try this recipe!

-JMB